Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that protects teeth and reverses the very early stage of dental decay. But an excessive amount of fluoride can be harmful and results in a condition termed as “dental fluorosis.”
EFFECTS OF DENTAL FLUOROSIS-
· The most apparent effect of fluorosis is a change in the appearance of teeth.
· Fluorosis causes patchy white spots in the early or mild stages and brown spots in later stages.
· In extreme or severe stages, it can lead to mottled and disfigured teeth.
CAUSES OF DENTAL FLUOROSIS-
· It is caused by consumption of excessive fluoride over a period of time
· Fluorosis can occur only in the developmental period of teeth which extends from conception to 8 years of age.
· It is more prevalent in areas where drinking water contains a higher amount of fluoride.
· Later on, it can also be caused by an excessive amount of fluoridated dental products
USUAL SOURCES OF FLUORIDE -
· Beverages, most common fluoridated tap water
· Foods made with fluoridated water
· Fluoridated Toothpaste and other oral care products like Topical fluoride
· Dietary supplements containing fluoride
PREVENTION OF DENTAL FLUOROSIS-
· Use of toothpaste only as per the recommendation of a Child Dentist (pedodontist).
· Children under the age of 6 should avoid the use of mouthwash and mouth-rinse
· Kids younger than age 3 should use a "rice grain" size of toothpaste containing fluoride and kids older than 3 years should use a Pea size amount.
· Tooth brushing should be no more than 2 times a day
· Tooth brushing should be supervised till the child is 8 years old
· Keep all dental products out of the reach of kids to avoid ingestion
TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT OF DENTAL
Fluorosis renders the affected teeth brittle and prone to fracture, breakage, and abrasion. The mainstay of treatment is improving tooth appearance and preventing further damage to the tooth structure. This can be done via-
· Micro/Macro abrasion and bleaching of affected teeth
· Composite restorations to restore the lost tooth enamel
· Veneers and full crowns to improve appearance and prevent breakage.
To know more contact us at KIDZ AND BRACES DENTAL CLINIC in Jaipur.
At KIDZ AND BRACES DENTAL CLINIC in Jaipur, we consider ourselves as partners of parents to promote positive oral health experiences. Kidz and Braces provides specialized care in the fields of pediatric (child) dentistry as well as all types of braces in Jaipur. We have a team headed by a Pediatric (child) specialist dentist and orthodontist (teeth braces specialist). We are experienced in all-round dental and oral hygiene related to care for infants, children, and teenagers and conduct braces treatment with no hidden charges. Kidz and Braces Dental clinic in Jaipur features a dedicated play area with toys, swings, a water fountain for cheering kids. Our dental chairs are contemporary and working areas equipped with a music system and a Smart High Definition TV on the roof (first in Rajasthan). This makes it a cheerful and relaxing environment. Our dental clinic is unique in providing “HAPPY AIR” conscious sedation equipment for painless and fearless dental treatment at the most affordable charges. We provide dental treatment to patients across Rajasthan, in Jaipur, and from surrounding places like Pilani, Sawai Madhopur, Dausa etc.